What's it all about?
The most brutually efficient distributed
processing with dual CPU boards running LiNuX
. My computers have almost
always been dual CPU and I have gotten tired of non-multithreaded weak apps.
A noticable exception has been and
still is Adobe's Photoshop
So to get the most out of dual
processing systems, a number of techniqes will be used to get the most
performace with the least amount of overhead. If both CPU's are not
getting hammered and the speedup isn't linear, something is not yet tuned.
Ways to utilize both
Write, beg, or
1. use a compiler like Intel's and utilize
(SMP Symmetric MultiProcessing)
2. use a message passage scheme like MPI or PVM with their
Use the OS to run applications to run on mulitple processors by
1. use threading libraries and techniques. (SMP)
2. force the OS to run an application with
affinity. (AMP Asymmetric MultiProcessing)
Using SMP techniques carries a overhead, sometimes
a little, sometimes a lot which depends on the how well code is written
and the OS. Which OS is this written for? LiNuX
Why not WinDoZe?
Tell'em Moe. "This has been brought to you by the
letters F & U."
If you want to port the code over, it should be fairly straightforward but
threading modeling is an unholy mess and
2. I don't care to support a megolomanic.
3. port of NEC, electromagnetic code to analyze antennas and
4. image processing software
5. advanced optimization software,
neural net, fuzzy, genetic algorithms
6. Nav-Stokes, turbulent laminar flow
7. more stuff to be added later.
Have decided to use Java
for generating the GUI, as is it portable,
less of a pain in the ass then Tcl/TK or QT. Don't think of even mentioning VB
or anything with M$. Java
is relatively quick and painless
and has lots of already built-in functions for network, audio, video, blah, blah,
Since the focus is more on the underlying
code than the GUI, you won't find real fancy effects going on here. No clown is
going to jump up and and juggle over to the trash can when you something is
deleted. Go back to WinDoZe or use a Mac if you're looking for that.
The GUI is minimalist and bohemian.
The Code will be written F77 and ANSI C.
This is the old school. No F90 crap or C++ garbage of pointers to pointers to
pointers to pointers.... ad nauseum
How to write and use AMP? Good question,
going to start with simple setting of cpu affinities with some good Perl
scripting, maybe throw in some genetic algorithms as well. This is the brute force method of telling the CPU's
and OS, do what I tell you to do right now and
don't give me any shit. More later...
Dual CPU monster machine, with at least 2GB
of ram, water cooling
of CPU's is optional
SCSI's with raid 0 or IDE
is good enough.
, Fastest Fourier Transform in the West
Here are tips on how to squeeze the most
out of a dual CPU system.
Junk to get rid of
1. Audio drivers
2. Network drivers, except for loopback and
basic network for X11
3. Print drivers
4. Modem drivers
5. All of the junk that gets loaded at startup in your profile.
7. Get rid of all of the icons on your desktop along with that garbage
image in the background.
1. Get, install, configure hdparm.
2. Use Ext3, XFS or RAID.
3. Get, install latest video drivers.
4. Put /usr, /apps, and swap on separate hard drives.